Interdistrict Permits

California Education Code sections 46600-46610 permit parents/guardians to request an interdistrict transfer/reciprocal agreement. The fundamental basis for this provision is the signing of an agreement between districts. Interdistrict transfer/reciprocal agreement must be approved by both the student’s original district of residence and the district to which the student seeks to transfer to. Both districts must approve the agreement before it becomes valid. The agreement may extend for a maximum of five consecutive years and may include terms or conditions. It is within the authority of either the home district or the receiving district to revoke an interdistrict transfer/reciprocal agreement at any time for any reason the local board or district superintendent deems appropriate.
To obtain an Interdistrict Permit to transfer in or out of CVUHSD, please complete the "Interdistrict Permit Application" online or using the form located below and submit it along with any supporting documentation to the Office of Student Services. Information regarding supporting documentation, and approved reasons for issuing an interdistrict permit are included on the form. CVUHSD accepts inter-district permit applications all year.  
Students requesting a permit to enter CVUHSD must meet the following conditions:
  • No overall GPA below 2.0
  • No more than 10 credits deficient
  • No suspensions, expulsions, or other significant discipline issues
  • No excessive tardies (more than 10) or unexcused absences (more than 2 all-day or equivalent absences)
Within 10 school days of the submission, the District will provide notification of an approval or a denial of the permit. Should the permit be denied, an appeal hearing may be requested of the District by completing the "Permit Appeal Request" form located below and submitting it to the Office of Student Services.  Within 10 school days of receiving the request, a District appeal hearing will be conducted, at which time the parent/guardian present their case to a District hearing panel. 
Inter-district permit application submission for the current year will receive a final decision within 30 calendar days of receipt. Inter-district permit application submission for the future year will receive a final decision no later than 14 days after the start of the instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought.
Should the District hearing panel deny the appeal, the parent/guardian has 30 calendar days to file an appeal with the Los Angeles County Office of Education, a written notice will be provided to the parent should be application be denied. Any failure to adhere to timelines will be deemed an abandonment of the request.
For information on filing an appeal with the Los Angeles County Office of Education, please visit their website:
Inter-district permits may be revoked for any of the following reasons:
  • Overall GPA falling below 2.0
  • Student failing more than 2 classes at the semester grading period.
  • Student involved in any disciplinary action that requires a suspension or expulsion.
  • Student not maintaining at least 95% attendance.