Special Education » Student Health Services

Student Health Services

Students who attend schools in the Centinela Valley Union High School District are fortunate to have access to the services of a credentialed school nurse. Our school nurse is a registered nurse (R.N.) who strengthens and facilitates the educational process by improving and protecting the health status of children. The major focus of nursing services is the prevention of illness and disability, as well as the early detection and correction of health problems.
  • Vision, hearing, and dental screening
  • Immunizations for students
  • Health and developmental assessments and evaluations of pupils to identify specific physical disorders and other factors related to the learning process
  • Communication with primary care providers
  • Individual Health care plan design and implementation, incorporating plans directed by a physician, to meet the needs of the student
  • Interpretation of medical and nursing findings appropriate to the student’s individual education plan and recommendations to personnel directly involved
  • In-service training resource person to teachers, administrators, and staff
  • Student and parent counseling regarding health related attendance problems
  • Assistance to parents, pupils, and school staff to understand and adjust to physical, mental and social limitations
Each CVUHSD school has an on-site health clerk who attends to the daily health needs of students and staff. Below is a brief description of the roles and responsibilities of the school nurse versus those of the health clerk:
School Nurse
 School Health Clerks
  • Assess student health needs
  • Manage student health needs
  • Health counseling
  • Health education
  • Health screening
  • Prevention and control of communicable diseases
  • Assist school nurse
  • Provide first aide to ill and injured students
  • Communicate with students, parents, and staff
  • Prepare health reports
  • Clerical health duties
Independent Study Options
As per CA Ed Code 48206.3 (a) and 48206.5, students who require time away from school due to a temporary disability which makes attendance in the regular school day impossible or inadvisable will receive individual instruction. Our goal is to continue to support access to education for students despite any physical or psychological limitations. Parents or guardians should consult with school administrators and/or counselors when pursuing an independent study option for their child.
There are two independent study options available to students:
Short Term Independent Studies (STIS)
Home & Hospital Instructional Services
  • Available to students who may be may be absent any where from 5-19 consecutive school days. Parent or guardian, and student must meet with counselor and administrator to sign contract before the plan begins.  
  • Available to students who may be may be absent 20 or more consecutive school days. A doctor's note is required in order to validate the request.
Student Immunizations: New Law (SB 277) Effective January 1, 2016
Students who enroll in CVUHSD schools  required to provide current immunization records. Per SB 277, students are no longer exempt from providing immunization records due to personal beliefs. However, students enrolled prior to January 1, 2016, who have a letter or affidavit on file which exempts them from immunization, may continue their enrollment status.  
Click below to learn more about CA State Bill 277