Seal of Biliteracy
Seal of Biliteracy
Beginning with the 2015-2016 school year, the Centinela Valley Union High School District is proud to award the California State Seal of Biliteracy to all seniors who graduate having demonstrated proficiency in both English and a language other than English.
Those who qualify for the award receive a state Seal of Biliteracy affixed to their diploma, inclusion of the award on their official transcript, and special recognition during their school’s graduation ceremony.
To qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy, CVUHSD students must meet the following criteria:
- Successful completion of all CVUHSD high school graduation requirements, including successful completion of all English requirements with a minimum overall GPA of 2.0.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English based on achievement of ONE of the following criteria:
- Score of 3 or higher on the AP English Language or AP English Literature exam, OR
- Score of 380 or higher on the ELA portion of the CAHSEE exam, OR
- Score of 2583 or higher on the 11th grade English Language Arts/Literacy portion of the CAASPP/SBAC exam.
- Demonstrated proficiency in a language OTHER THAN ENGLISH based on achievement of ONE of the following criteria:
- Score of 3 or higher on a foreign language Advanced Placement exam, OR
- Score of 4 or higher on an International Baccalaureate exam, OR
- Completion of a four-year high school course of study in a foreign language with an overall GPA of 3.0 or above in that course of study, OR
- Score of 600 or higher on a SAT subject test in any language other than English (please attach appropriate documentation to use this option).
ADDITIONAL CRITERIA FOR CURRENT ENGLISH LEARNER STUDENTS ONLY:
If you are currently still designated as an English Learner (EL) student, you must also have achieved an overall proficiency level of Early Advanced or higher on the California English Language Development Test (CELDT), which may be administered an additional time, as necessary.