Reclassification as Fluent English Proficient (RFEP)
Students are assessed for meeting the following Four (4) reclassification criteria throughout the year as applicable data become available.
- Parent Notification: If all of the above criteria for reclassification are met, parents will be notified and given the opportunity to request a conference with the ELD Coodinator to discuss any concerns about reclassification.
- Students exiting from EL status must be monitored for at least two years, to ensure that (1) they have not been prematurely exited; (2) any academic deficits incurred as a result of participating in the EL program have been remedied; and (3) they are meaningfully participating in the standard program of instruction comparable to their neverEL peers.
- In addition, the ESEA now requires LEAs to report on the number and percentage of former ELs meeting state academic standards for four years. (ESSA [Section 3121(a)(5)])
- During the 2-year monitoring period, former EL (or Reclassified Fluent English Proficient – RFEP) students who receive a grade of “F” in an ELA course are provided with appropriate interventions that support the student in meeting academic performance at grade level (See: Teacher Support Flowchart and Pyramid of Interventions).
- You can access Tools and Resources for Monitoring and Exiting English Learners from EL Programs and Services at http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oela/english-learner-toolkit/index.html.