Steps to Retirement


Throughout your career:
Make sure your CalPERS service credit is correct. Please review your service credit each time you get a statement. If you think there is an error, send a copy of the service credit statement (with an explanation of what you think is incorrect) to the Payroll Department.
Visit the CalPERS website ( for general benefit related information.
At least 5 years prior:
Attend CalPERS retirement seminar.

At least 1 years prior:
Use the Retirement Estimate Calculator or log in to my/CalPERS to estimate your monthly benefits.

At least 6 months prior:
1. Confirm your creditable years of service with the district to determine eligibility for health benefits after retirement.
2. Contact Benefits Department regarding your benefits options at (310) 263-3218
3. Make your CalPERS counselor appointment to discuss options.
 * CalPERS (Regional Call Center) (888) 225-7377, or on the web at

At least 3 months prior:
1. Notify your site supervisor of your intent to retire.
2. If you have not previously done so, confirm your creditable years of service with the district to determine eligibility for health benefits after retirement. Classified employees, please contact the Human Resources Department at (310) 263-3200.
3. Complete the district Retirement/Resignation Form and turn it in to Human Resources Department.
4. The date of retirement is decided by the employee. Your district retirement date must be on or after the last date that you were in paid status (e.g., work, vacation, sick leave, etc.) Your district date of retirement must be before your selected PERS retirement date. (For example, on the district's form you would indicate 6-16-XX as your retirement date, on the CalPERS form you would indicate 6-16-XX as "last day of paid employment" and 6-17-XX as "retirement date".)
5. CalPERS members, the district will certify your retirement date and report your unused sick leave balance (for service credit) to CalPERS upon receipt of a Notice of Placement on Retirement Roll from CalPERS requesting verification of this information. Please note that your retirement date must be within 120 days of your CalPERS retirement date; otherwise, you will not be entitled to convert your unused sick leave for any service credit.
6. Turn in completed forms from the packet to CalPERS.
7. If you or your eligible spouse/domestic partner is 65 or older at the time of your retirement, you must enroll in Medicare A&B.

Where to get the retirement forms:
1. The District Resignation/Retirement Form is available at all sites and on the Personnel Commission’s website Open "For Current Employees". Please make sure you submit the Resignation/Retirement Form to the Office of the Personnel Commission.
2. CalPERS Service Retirement Application may be completed and submitted online using your myICalPERS account CalPERS packets are available by calling CalPERS at (888) 225-7377 or at their Regional offices.

NOTE: When making changes to any of your dates, also make sure that related CalPERS paperwork is amended as necessary.


After retirement:
You will receive a retirement letter regarding benefits


Requests to Substitute after retirement:

Notify the Office of the Personnel Commission in writing that you would like to work as a substitute after retirement. Please be reminded that CalPERS limits the amount you can earn post-retirement. In addition, CalPERS places restrictions on substituting for the first 180 days of retirement. For additional information, please contact CalPERS directly.